Rather than publishing my annual boring list of music that I like and think everyone else should (but probably doesn’t), this year I’ve just set up a Spotify playlist of my favorite albums from 2011. So you can just listen & decide for yourself.
A few times I’ve caught myself saying how 2010 was such a huge amazing year for new music and this year had a few gems, but nothing life-changing. (a justifiable statement considering 2010 provided classics from Sufjan, Arcade Fire and a Kanye West opus)
Maybe I was distracted by the fact that my by-far favorite album to listen to this year actually was released late December 2010.
But as I was throwing this playlist together I’m realizing I was wrong. (see list below for obvious reasons why)
In fact, even in the past couple weeks I’ve discovered new stuff that I didn’t even know existed that is totally making me double-take.
So spend your afternoon listening and let me know what you dig.
So listen along and enjoy some great tunes and let me know if you’ve been obsessed with that I missed! (i.e. The Antlers, Atlas Sound, Caveman, Wilco?)
Strong Odors: Favorite Albums 2011
- M83: Hurry Up We’re Dreaming
- Radiohead: The King of Limbs
- St. Vincent: Stronge Mercy
- The Joy Formidable: The Big Roar
- Feist: Metals
- tUnE-yArDs: W H O K I L L
- Wye Oak: civilian
- Beastie Boys: Hot Sauce Committee Part Two
- Jay-Z + Kanye West: Watch the Throne
- Cymbals Eat Guitars: Lenses Alien
- Raphael Saadiq: Stone Rollin’
- J Mascis: Several Shades of Why
- Ringo Deathstarr: Colour Trip
- R.E.M.: Collapse Into Now
- The Roots: Undun
- Delay Trees: Delay Trees (Totally obsessed right now)
- Fleet Foxes: Helplessness Blues
- Bon Iver: Bon Iver